Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Rifle 30-30


My cousin Rose's husband, Hurst (Ivan Hurst Thygerson) used to go deer hunting with our family. During World War II I (Jerry) was looking for a gun and there were none available. I sent to Sears, Montgomery Ward, etc. and they didn’t have any guns for sale. Hurst went into a pool hall and there was a 30-30 rifle on a punch board. He punched the board out until he won the rifle. He brought it and sold it to me for the amount it cost him. Rose is my Dad’s sister Maria's daughter's husband. At the time, he was probably in his 40’s and I was in high school. I wanted the gun to use deer hunting. My Dad had a 30-40 Krag rifle. Ned has it. The 30-40 Krag rifle was from World War I.
A punch board looks like a checker board. In the punch board are small holes with small pieces of paper rolled up with a different number on each paper. A person wanting to "win" a prize, will pay to punch one or more papers out of the board. Example, 20 punches for a dollar. If the paper has a number on it that corresponded with a prize, the person wins the prize.

No comments:

Post a Comment