Wednesday, December 29, 2010

What was it like to live in Ivan and Orilla's Home?

We didn’t have an electric stove, just a coal burning stove. It was this stove in the kitchen, and a fireplace in the living room, that were used to heat our home during the winter. My bedroom was upstairs. A man who lived in Price and worked with the BLM would come and Pheasant hunt with my Dad. One day he brought an electric stove for Orilla. He said he could no longer stand, Orilla cooking on the coal stove.
After that the fireplace was all we had to keep the house warm. Ice would form in my bedroom and I would jump out of bed and run downstairs to get warm. When I was in my bedroom, I piled on blankets to keep warm. We bathed in a wash tub in the kitchen. We didn’t have a bathroom until I was out of high school (just an outhouse). They didn’t get sewer to our house until I was out of high school. Our home was located under the bench, a mile from downtown Castle Dale and a mile from downtown Orangeville. The house is still there. When I was in First grade, we rented a place in Castle Dale. My Dad heard that the house under the bench was for sale so he put some money down on it and we moved there.

No comments:

Post a Comment